My Journey to South Korea and the Joys of Teaching Abroad

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Anticipation

All my bags are packed...I'm ready to go...I'm sittin here on Lauren's floor...

After nearly a year of preparation, and several failed attempts to stay in any one place for more than 4 months, I am leaving for South Korea on Friday.

I do not know the language, nor am I particularly familiar with their customs or history. In fact, my knowledge is limited to the following:

1. There are three mountains and one beach in my city, which means I will be hiking and teaching the Koreans how to play beach volleyball. There is also a steel mill, which lures all sorts of interesting male characters such as Russians, Frenchmen, and Aussies. I plan on promoting international relations by inviting all nationalities to join me on the mountains and beaches. God bless diplomacy.

2. This is not the Korea that our parents imagine, thanks to scenes from MASH. I will not be living in a hut or carrying my own water. I will also be hard-pressed to find handsome American doctors, though one must never give up hope.

3. The ladies of Korea, though beautiful, are typically dainty and trim. I am, shall we say, 'curvy' and must, therefore, "put the girls away"( as several of my friends have mentioned). For anyone who knows me, this will be an EXTREME form of culture shock.

4. They have plum wine in Korea. Commonly known as "ume", this wine derived from the Japanese Apricot or Chinese plum is syrupy sweet and highly potent. I plan to drink as much as possible...while promoting international relations,of course.

5. I will be teaching at a private school for Korean students. As I love to teach and love to learn, this will most likely be a wondrous adventure.

Annyong kasayo- that is to say, "goodbye"(Korean style).

No comments:

Post a Comment