My Journey to South Korea and the Joys of Teaching Abroad

Monday, May 31, 2010

Expatriotism

Today, my younger students confessed to me that they are very frightened about the mounting tensions between North and South Korea. They are sincerely afraid that their land will be invaded or that their fathers will be sent to war.

“Teacher, do you think they will bomb us? Do you think they will come here? We are so scared.”

I reassured them that they would be safe and, that no matter what happens, South Korea has many allies who would come to their aid. When I reminded them of this sentiment one student spoke up proudly.

“America, Teacher! America would help us. They like us. You like us!”

“Yes, Kane. America does like you, and my country would help you.”

As I said the words, “my country”, a warm feeling spread through me: It is still very new to be the minority and refer to yourself as a “ foreigner.” Over the past few years, I have criticized our country a great deal, and I still believe that we have a lot of work to do before we can truly claim to be the international torch-bearers of freedom and peace, but the recognition by my students that America would come to their aid, and their comfort from knowing that my mighty country would do it’s best to keep them safe, gave me a renewed sense of patriotism.

May America continuously strive to be a bright beacon for peace when it is threatened throughout the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment